Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The will to live. . .

Tonight i spoke with a woman younger than i that is dying of cancer. She has the same cancer that my father had, so you can imagine that it hit home for me. It took a little time to process the information from the call. . . not the location where the ambulance needed to go or the phone number or her age or anything. . .but the weakness in her voice, the chill of the spark of life cooling. She told me that she just wanted to die at home and to not be prodded any longer. One might say that i have what is called a healthy death wish. Which is not to say that i am in any hurry to get out of here (although there are moments), but that i don't fear death. i am confident of my fate and my next home. i have not been in her shoes, though i weep for her pain, but i can not imagine being in a place where i would want to rush death. i weep for her pain. i hope that were i, or when i am in her shoes that i would approach death with a reverence. i think about the pain that would be felt and as my body fights to keep my spirit, and the calm that my spirit will feel as i slip into a body a bit more appropriate. Something more comfortable and everlasting. God willing i will sit alongside a spring fed stream beneath a forest canopy. i don't know that this is what heaven will be like, but i can dream. . .
To the woman that i spoke with tonight. Peace is coming. . . trust in the one who created you and you will dance again.

No comments: