Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Day two in the desert

Living in a riparian desert isn't all that bad. There is a jug of water near the toilet to flush, which has been reduced to just bare minimum daily. I am sure that the civilized guests that come through the house are totally freaked out, but the system (and yes sometimes smell) is tolerable (if only just). The washing of dishes, brushing teeth, bathing, shaving all in measured amounts of water and even the cooking of vegetables with the amount of water used is so enlightening. To look at the number of empty jugs from just the last two days of use is staggering, and we are super doper conserving.

Today James and I went down to the river to collect water for non potable uses. While we were there, we opted to "bathe". Not take a proper bath mind you, but just get in and soak and let the water (albeit quite a bit colder than we would expect for a bath) run over us and wash us and refresh. I found a little water fall in the lower rapids with a pool beneath it that was just deep enough that if I sat down the water would flow over my head and shoulders. The force of the flow was powerful and soothing and I enjoyed the massage, and I felt clean. It was so different from anything I have felt in a long time . . . not since the days of hiking and camping in the back country. There is something to this whole getting back to the earth thing. Although the water in the well has been steadily rising I have to confess that I will be sad when we return to some new form of "normal" life. I kinda wish it wouldn't end. (But don't tell Amy that!!)

No comments: